Current service information
Hennepin County Library continues to adapt its services in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, with an emphasis on the safety of our staff and patrons.
You can access library services in-person and online.
All visitors to Hennepin County buildings are required to wear face coverings that cover both mouth and nose.
Face coverings can include a paper or disposable face mask, a cloth face mask, a scarf, a bandanna, a neck gaiter, or a religious face covering. A face shield alone is not sufficient. Visitors who wear a face shield are required to wear a face covering underneath it.
Grab and Go services
Libraries are accommodating patrons for short visits. Learn more about in-person Grab and Go services.
You can connect to library resources from home, with many resources offering new or expanded remote access. Learn more about online services.
- Returns are accepted at all library locations. Book drops accept returns 24/7.
- Osseo and St. Bonifacius libraries are accepting returns but are not open for other services due to their small size and the need to provide adequate physical distancing.
Library materials and your account
- Over the last year, in response to COVID-19, the library has been automatically extending all due dates, preventing any items from being due. This practice will end on April 26.
- Starting April 26, the due date displayed in your account or on your receipt will be accurate.
- Renewal policies will remain the same. An item can be renewed a maximum of three times, unless another patron has an active hold on the item.
- Items in closed libraries are not available, and closed locations are not visible in the catalog.
- Hennepin County residents and property owners can apply online for an e-card to access online resources.
- To get a regular library card to borrow physical materials, visit a Hennepin County library.
Library services available online
We can answer questions, connect you to online resources or recommend your next read.
- Contact us by email, chat or text.
- Call 612-543-KNOW (5669) to reach library staff by phone.
- Monday-Thursday 9 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Friday-Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Sunday noon – 5 p.m.
Llame o envíe un texto al 651-503-8013 para recibir ayuda en español.
Hu losis text rau lub tsev nyeem ntawv ntawm 612-385-0886 txais kev pab hais lus Hmoob.
Caawimaad Soomaali ah, soo wac ama qoraal (text) usoo dir maktabada 612-235-1339.
Use online resources
- Borrow eBooks and downloadable audiobooks, stream music or try the Libby app.
- Do your work remotely, build skills or look for a job with online resources.
- Research your family and local history with Ancestry Library Edition and other research tools.
- Get help from a tutor online, or find other K-12 homework help resources.
- Listen to local music on MNspin, opens a new window.