To get a library card, you will need to visit any library branch with valid and current name and address identification.
How to get a library card
To be eligible for a free library card you need to:
- live in the City of Toronto
- work in the City of Toronto
- go to school in the City of Toronto, or
- own property in the City of Toronto
Library cards expire once a year. You may renew your card online (if eligible) or visit a library branch in person to renew your card.
What you can do with a library card
- Borrow books, music, movies and more
- Place holds through the website to reserve materials and have them sent to your nearest branch
- Download eBooks, digital magazines, movies and music
- Access eLearning resources and online homework help.
- Use research databases to access magazine and newspaper archives, business directories, and other specialized content
- Reserve computer time at any branch
- Borrow a Museum & Arts Pass for free access to Toronto museums and other venues
- Access cutting-edge technology and training at the Digital Innovation Hubs