Help teens aged 13 to 17 learn coding skills as they work through tutorials (as beginners) or their own projects (intermediate/advanced) in this drop-in program. Volunteers coach and support participants individually or in teams, as they develop coding skills to create web pages, apps, and games in an open, free learning environment.
Peer-to peer coaching is encouraged as participants gain confidence and experience in working on their projects. Volunteers help participants gain a deeper understanding of what drives computer technology and become more informed information users.
- Help teens build digital literacy skills and confidence using technology
- Help teens develop computer programming skills
- Build peer-to-peer mentoring skills
- Support social and emotional learning (SEL) and positive youth development
Fall / Winter / Spring / Summer
1.5- to two-hour program
Once a week
Dates and times vary depending on location
- Expertise in coding logic, programming languages, or related areas like app development or web design
- Ability to work positively in a youth-centered program
- Good listening and communication skills
- Flexibility and good problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to accommodate a diversity of backgrounds and skill levels